Friday, February 19, 2010

Sweet Potatoes/Yams

Since so many people are intrigued by the fact that I have made my own baby food (did with Bryce as well) I thought I would post the recipes as I make them.  I have the "So Easy Baby Food" cookbook, second edition, which I LOVE!

Selection:  Good-quality sweet potatoes should be firm and well-shaped with clean, smooth skins.
Storage and ripening:  Countertop.
Quantity:  2-3 medium to large sweet potatoes/yams.

Step 1:  Prep.  Wash, peel and chop into one-inch cubes.
Step 2:  Cook.  Place sweet potatoes/yams and 2 tbsp. of water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover with plastic wrap and cook 8-10 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes.  They are done when they can be pierced easily with a fork.
Step 3:  Puree.  Place sweet potatoes/yams and cooking juices into a blender or food processor.  Add 1/2 cup of water (breastmilk or formula will work too).  Puree.  Add additional 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water as needed to develop a smooth texture.
Step 4:  Pour.  Spoon into desired trays or containers.  Makes 24, 2-oz. servings!
Step 5:  Freeze.  8-10 hours or overnight.

See!  It's not that difficult and it is very cost efficient!  I bought these nifty trays from onestepahead.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I didn't do it with Nathan or Jordan but as they got older I started pureeing veggies to add into different meals and realized how easy it was. I have decided to make my own this time around after realizing not only that it's simple but cheaper:)