The day has finally come...the day Bryce has hoped for, for quite some time...his first day of preschool! Ever since Ethan's second year of preschool Bryce has wanted to go. He would take his coat off and just make himself at home in Ethan's class and I usually had to physically pick him up and take him out in order for us to leave. I turned in his registration packet on Thursday and then it was set, today was the big day. He told everyone he was going to start school on Tuesday and today, that day finally came. His backpack packed and ready to go, he got ready just like his big brother.
I think Ethan may have been just as excited for Bryce to start. We loaded up in the car, headed to school and Bryce was grinning from ear to ear, rolling his Buzz Lightyear backpack up to the door, I signed not one but two of my babies in. First stop, Ethan's class and usually Bryce walks right in but today, he was so anxious to get to his class, he stopped at the doorway while Ethan promptly told his teacher and his classmates "guess what? Today is Bryce's first day of school!" I quickly gave Ethan a hug and kiss goodbye and my hand was then grasped by Bryce pulling me towards his classroom. As we walked down the hall, Bryce led the way, biting on his fingers as nervousness set in.
We walked into his classroom to find his classmates doing their morning stretches and listening to music. We hung his coat in his cubby below his bin, he washed his hands just as he has seen Ethan do and then he just stood there watching the kids, still biting on his fingers and holding my hand.
After about 10 minutes of just standing there, despite my efforts to get him to walk over to the children with me, it was time for "centers" where they pull out various games and activities, legos, puzzles, etc. and the children get to choose which "center" they wish to be at. Bryce chose the safari animals and he walked with his teacher to the floor where two other children were playing. I stood near the door wondering if I should go back over to him to say goodbye or if I should sneak away to avoid any upset but just a second later, Bryce turned around towards me. I told him I loved him and would be back in a little bit to pick him up and that was it. He turned back around and went back to playing! The clock couldn't have moved quick enough as I sat anxiously waiting for 11:45 to roll around so I could go back and get my boys. I wondered how he was doing. Did he cry? Does he miss me? When Ethan started preschool he had a very difficult time adjusting and realizing that momma wasn't just leaving him there, that I was coming back to get him. In the first week or two I had to sneak away despite his tears, being prompted by his teacher that this was normal and everything was going to be fine. I remember it like it was yesterday and although there were tears, once I picked him up he always told me how much fun he had and I knew it was worth it. Around 11:30 I decided to go pay a bill to make the last 15 minutes go by just a little bit faster and finally at 11:40 I decided to just go to the school, even if I was a little early, just to peek and see how he was doing. I peeked in the window to see Bryce, along with his classmates, sitting in their little chairs in a circle listening to their teacher read them a story. I tried to remain out-of-sight just in case he were to turn around and as soon as the story was finished, I watched him pick up his little chair and stack just as his classmates did. Before I knew it, he was standing in front of me, backpack in hand, coat on and ready to go with the biggest grin on his face. He was a big boy now. I asked him how his day was as we walked down to Ethan's class and he told me "it was good!". They did spaghetti art for the letter "S", they had crackers and juice for snacks and his favorite part of school was singing.
As soon as Ethan saw Bryce in the window, he quickly grabbed his coat and papers out of his bin and opened the door saying "how was your first day of school Bryce?!" It just melts my heart to see the bond these two share and to see how much Ethan looks after Bryce and wants him to feel included. All in all, today was a great day and Bryce is looking forward to Thursday when he gets to go back. I can't say it enough, time flies, enjoy every minute because before you know it, your babies grow up!





2 comments:
How exciting!! I can't believe you have two in school already. We are looking into preschools now for Nathan, he will probably start in the fall. I know once he goes Jordan will be DYING to follow in his footsteps:)
That is sooo sweet!
Post a Comment