Monday, March 1, 2010

Isaac's 6-month checkup

Isaac had his 6-month well-child check today and weighed in at 16 lbs. 12 oz. (45th percentile) and is 27-1/8 inches tall (75th percentile).  He is meeting all his developmental milestones, most recently starting to babble "na na na" and lifting his chest off the ground while laying on his tummy or lifting his rear-end off the floor.  I'm thinking it won't be long before he figures out how to take off.  Doc said his eczema looks much better--I told him I didn't follow his directions last time and fill the prescriptions he recommended (2.5% hydrocortisone and Atarax syrup for itching at night.  I don't even like to take meds myself, let alone give them to my kids unless absolutely necessary so I took the minimalist approach and use 1% hydrocortisone if/when Isaac has a breakout and it clears it up just fine.  I also didn't feel it was necessary to give him the Atarax syrup for itching at nighttime because he doesn't itch.  He probably really loves mom's like me who disobey!  I also believe the fact that I cut out all milk and nearly all other dairy has really helped his eczema as well.  Another plus side to that is the fact that I've lost 4 pounds!  Doc said I should continue nursing beyond a year if I can in order to help ward off allergies/asthma.  I had no idea that breastmilk provides a barrier in the baby's stomach that blocks out allergens.  Learned something new!  I am hopeful I will at least make it to 12+ months as I did with the other two boys.

1 comment:

Tatum said...

Look how big he is getting! Such a little doll! I bet you can hardly believe he's 6 months already!